Friday, April 8, 2011

The Insidious Truth Behind Canola Oil

Woman in a field of "canola", unaware of the danger to her virtue.
Canola oil.  Considered one of the healthier oil options.  All good, right?  Wrong.

First, as some of you likely know, "canola" is a made-up word to replace the unfortunately named "rapeseed."  Obviously, marketing an exciting new oil, healthy or otherwise, that has the word rape in it would be a challenge under the best of circumstances.  While the "rape" in rapeseed comes from the Latin rapum (turnip in English) and has nothing to do with the criminal term "rape" (derived from the Latin rapere, meaning "to seize, carry off by force, plunder"), explaining that to consumers might be a little tricky.

Okay, so no rape in our oil.  But why "canola?"  It's an acronym for Canadian oil, low acid.  And, for those of you who are anti-GM wackos, it's also made from genetically modified rapeseed.

So, not only is your healthy oil full of freakish, unnatural rape, it's also secretly Canadian.  Draw your own conclusions.

14 comments:

praguestepchild said...

Anything that has to be extracted in a plant like this http://english.sxicc.cas.cn/st/rdp/201011/t20101117_61487.html
and requires solvents to process is not going near my kitchen.

Pro Libertate said...

Not only is it a mutant, rape-inducing, Canadian oil, it's also made in an unnatural, chemically intensive manner.

For shame, Canada. For shame.

STEVE SMITH said...

STEVE SMITH BELOVED DAGNY FROM FROZEN TUNDRA YETI RAPE PLANT LAND! STEVE SMITH WANT KNOW MORE ABOUT RAPE PLANT!

Otto said...

praguestepchild: "Cold-pressed" oil uses no solvents. If you have a Whole Foods near you, I'm sure they would have it.

Hexane (C6H14) is used in a lot of food processing.

the innominate one said...

It could be worse. It could be French-Canadian. Quebec, the worst of both worlds.

Pro Libertate said...

I imagine some rapeseed oil comes from Quebec.

Otto, I didn't know you were a Canadian apologist. All good Americans use corn oil.

Bernie said...

Oh please good people, spare me your paranoia. I eat heavily processed food, irregardless of the country of origin, cooked in canola oil all the time, and I am perfectly normal.

the innominate one said...

irregardless is a poor excuse for a word. the word you want is regardless, or possibly irrespective. your misuse of the English language marks you as an infiltrator from Quebec. confess!

Pro Libertate said...

Oh, yeah, Bernie? Well, let me let you in on a little secret. "Canadian oil, low acid" means oil rendered from Canadians. Not Canadian rapeseed. . .Canadian Homo sapiens sapiens.

Bernie said...

What is the cause of my irregular word usage? I'm not sure, maybe I was influenced by someone from western Indiana, or others from less strange parts of the USA. But I admit perhaps I did exaggerate a little, in that when I first began this dietary regimen I suffered a few bouts of sudden orange oily discharge, the most embarrassing of which occurred when I had just sat down to dine in the Signature Room at the Ninety Fifth, dressed to the nines and feeling so bourgeois. But I am truly fine now, thank you.

the innominate one said...

and hardly any anal leakage at all, now?

Pro Libertate said...

I occasionally mix with the common people, too. It cheers me to breathe in the miasma of their bourgeois inferiority.

Otto said...

I've already admitted to my Canadian heritage, PL.

I don't have a problem with solvent-based extraction of food oils. I also don't have a problem if people want to pay more for cold-pressed.

Pro Libertate said...

Of course you don't. You're an admitted Canadian sympathizer.